designerradiators

designerradiators

Customer Perspective: Things to Think about When You’re Buying a New Radiator

Today, I’m going to talk about my experiences with buying radiators for my home. I’ve been a homeowner for 30 years now, and in my time I’ve bought a number of radiators. Sometimes that was because the old radiators needed replacing, at other times it’s because I wanted a change. Regardless, over the years I’ve learned a few things about buying radiators and I want to share this knowledge with you, so that you can avoid some of the pitfalls that I've made.

Bathroom Radiators
These have been a particular bugbear of mine. They always seem to end up going rusty, whether I buy chrome or white ones, whether I clean it with bicarbonate and other household remedies. The reason for this is that bathrooms are damp. They naturally keep their moisture. Furthermore, if you leave your towels on the radiator, that can speed up the process.

In the end, I’ve had to fork out for an expensive radiator in the bathroom. I bought high-grade, rust resistant steel and it has lasted the course so far. With this radiator, I can hang my towels up as much as I want. It’s extra special because I chose one with a shelf, so I can store towels too.

If you want a bathroom radiator that lasts, you'll have to pay for it. I actually spent more money buying replacement radiators every 3 or 4 years than I did finally forking out for a top-notch one. In the long run, I would have saved money if I’d just paid out. And that’s the truth about radiators. It’s much better to pay for quality than to buy cheap.

Designer Radiators
There’s quite a strong fad nowadays for buying designer radiators. I don’t blame people for this, they can look amazing, but I do feel you need to understand something. Sometimes you’re paying way more than you should for a radiator simply by the fact that it looks different to other radiators.

The most important thing about a radiator isn’t what it looks like, but how warm it is. I once bought a really cool looking radiator and then spend the entire winter freezing in the living room. It was the least efficient radiator I’ve ever owned. The surface area was tiny, so barely able to heat up, and it had no special extras, like convection fins or triple panels.

Thermostatic Radiator Valves
When these first arrived on the market, I thought they were a gimmick, so I avoided buying them. I figured that I could just set the valve on my radiators at a specific point and it would be the same as the TRVs. When I finally cracked and had them installed, they did reduce my heating bills a bit – I’d say by around £5 a month, which doesn’t sound like much, but over time it all adds up. They’re definitely worth it, but you might not notice the difference if you’ve never had normal valves (or should I say “old-fashioned valves”).

I hope you found this article interesting. If you want to buy new radiators, then check out the collection available at http://www.designerradiatorsdirect.co.uk