designerradiators

designerradiators

Vertical Heaters: Do They Have Their Place?

Because of rising energy bills, more and more of us are starting to pay close attention to our energy bills, and especially our heating bills. We are now more concerned than ever to be as efficient as possible with our energy requirements. One thing that has manifested out of this is the general idea that vertical heaters should be avoided at all costs. But is this true? This is the topic of the article and we will address the issues throughout.

The first thing we want to clarify is that vertical radiators are not the bad option that they are made out to be. They can be a bad choice, but this is not always the case. You should avoid using them under certain circumstances, but in other situations, they are actually the best choice. Let’s explore this in more depth now…

In terms of heat output, they can produce as much heat as any other radiator of the same size and BTU rating. The difference between a vertical and horizontal radiator in this regard is the way that they distribute heat around the room. Horizontal radiators are more efficient at distributing heat in an even and broad manner. They heat up more of the room across a horizontal axis. This means that they are better at heating larger rooms.

However, there are two issues to address here:

1. Vertical radiators might not spread heat as efficiently in a larger room, but in a smaller room, they tend to perform better because they produce more heat for the same amount of space. The horizontal radiators can sometimes be too big to fit in small spaces, and this means choosing a smaller radiator. In turn, the smaller radiator produces less heat, and so it is less efficient than the vertical heater, which can produce as much heat as a larger horizontal radiator can produce in the same space.

1. Some vertical heaters have convection fins that point the heat towards the floor and out in a fanning pattern. This means that they can cover a much broader area with their heat than the same radiator without convector fins would be able to do. This in turn means that modern vertical heaters, with convector fins, can almost match horizontal radiators in terms of heat distribution. They aren’t quite as good, but they are much better than they used to be and they are almost on a par with the horizontal radiators.

Vertical heaters are also better in some places than horizontal radiators are. For example, if you want to place your radiators on a north facing wall and that wall has a French door or French windows, then it can be better to place two vertical heaters on either side of the door or window, rather than having a single horizontal radiator somewhere on that wall. The two radiators will be more efficient than the single radiator will be.

Finally, vertical heaters have the key advantage that they look better than horizontal heaters. The manufactures design them with fun and classic shapes that make them appear much more elegant than other types of radiator appear.

We hope that you have found this article useful and that you now understand that while vertical heaters aren’t necessarily a good option, under certain circumstances, they are actually the best choice. As such, you should never write them off as impractical or inefficient.